Missions Journal- Kenya, September 2017- Entry 1

Hello from Nairobi, Kenya.

I am on day 5 of 10 for this short trip to Kenya. This is my first journal entry because this is the first time that I have had access to the internet. For those of you that didn't know, I am in Kenya. I will be traveling this country for 10 days. I am going to five different ministry sights while I am here. I want to use this post to walk you through what my time here has been like so far. This is my first trip to Kenya and it has already been like nothing that I have ever experienced!

It took a total of 23 hours to get from Raleigh, North Carolina to Nairobi, Kenya. Not only was it my longest travel time but it was also my first time to deal with a major time change! Kenya is 8 hours ahead of CST. A pastor from South Carolina and I left the states on Sunday afternoon, we arrived in Kenya late Monday night. After getting to our hotel in Nairobi we had to try to catch a few hours of sleep before we had to get up and catch an early flight to Kitale.


This goal at this location was to continue to build relationships with the leaders here and to see if the Lord may be leading us to start a training institute in this location. We arrive in Kitale mid-morning on Tuesday and are greeted at the small airport (one building that was maybe 20x20) by two Kenyan pastors. These men call a car to take us to the “hotel” we will be staying in. We arrive at the hotel via a red dirt road covered in rocks and trash. When we enter the hotel, we realize that there is no power. We found out that it was a common occurrence for the town to lose power for extended periods of time. We check in to the hotel and rest for a little while before it is time for us to be at the school to begin the training. I arrive at my room to find a mosquito net over the bed. This was also a first for me but a precaution that is necessary due to the rampancy of diseases like malaria.

The car returns to pick us up in the early afternoon to take us to the school where we will be holding the training. We proceed to drive for about 30 minutes down VERY rough red clay roads with small children and adults walking everywhere with no shoes on and very worn out clothes. Many of the homes we were passing were huts made of sticks and mud…. It was becoming more and more obvious with every mile just how poverty struck this part of the country was… We arrive at the school to find about 8 structures in a line made of mud with tin roofs on them (classrooms), two small mud huts (cooking huts), and one larger structure at the bottom of the hill that was made of concrete bricks, mud, and sticks. We found out that this school was founded by a local pastor who then founded a church on the school’s campus. The school has been around for about 4 years and the church about 3. There are about 300 children that attend this school and 38 of them are orphans. The pastor shared with us that it is his desire to be able to eventually house the orphans at the school.


To Be Continued.....